Thursday, July 2, 2009

Whorethorn Interview


1. Can you give us a brief history of the band?

Whorethorn was formed by me (Malphas) in early 2005 as a one man ambient project, but I didn't feel like I could convey my message effectively through this, I so I started experimenting with a more black metal sound.I then started looking for a full band, and hired, after a few changes, Baal and Krayl to play bass and drums. Together we wrote and recorded the Into The Night demo and Under The Veil Of Darkness. Soon after recording Under The Veil Of Darkness, I decided I wanted to create less generic sounding material, something special, something to do justice to the message behind the music.... So I decided to destroy the archetypal black metal sound I had in my mind, and focus on creating something more terrifying than I could have ever previously thought of. The last two demos contain this feeling of unease and terror, and I can assure you, it can only get more intense.

2. How would you describe your sound to someone who has never heard you before?

The sound on our more recent material is, put simply, the audal manifestation of utter hate I have for almost everyone and everything in this universe. I think that is reflected in the music. It is very abrasive, and almost suffocating in parts, but it still manages to maintain it's dynamics, which I think is key.

3. What is the meaning behind the bands name?

I could not tell you if I wanted to, I received the name on an early astral experience, and it has puzzled me ever since.

4. Have you played any live shows yet?No, we have not. I have had planned to take Whorethorn live many times, but I would need a bigger budget than I have at the moment. The live show would be as visual as it would be audal, horrifying yet entrancing. You would definitely not forget a Whorethorn concert. Playing live is a possibility next year, but certainly not likely.

5. What releases have you put out so far?

We released three demos before Under The Veil Of Darkness was recorded. After UTVOD was released I recorded a long, painful demo entitled Pathetic Existence On A Desolate Plane, and more recently, a demo containing two untitled tracks and The Awakening Of Vulfaru. There are a few splits coming out later this year too, and of course our most important work to date, the next full length album.

6. How would you describe the musical progress over the years?

I have changed spiritually very much since the start of the band, and this has directly influenced the sound. However I am pleased with the path I am now on, and likewise the direction my music is taking. I would definitely regard our more recent material as more mature, musically.

7. What direction do you see the band heading into during the future?

Who knows!? I guess it depends on where my beliefs take me.

8. How would you describe the lyrical content of the music?

The lyrics deal with the occult, with some songs being actual invocations to certain deities. They also focus on what I have learned and what I am learning about, spiritually. Mainly, I try to channel emotion through screaming a half improvised, chaotic babble, rather than a mechanical set of words put in place because they sound right.

9. What are your main influences music wise or non music wise?

Musically, I would say mainly Furze, Burzum, Arckanum and Clandestine Blaze. I respect bands like Dissection, Watain, and indeed Arckanum for their lyrical topics, in particular Anti-cosmic Satanism, I am currently learning as much about the MLO as I can, and I await the release of the English version of Liber Azerate, so I can learn more about the only true form of Satanism. Again, I stress that Whorethorn's music is only actively influenced by the beliefs I hold.

10. What are you listening to nowadays what are some good band or releases that you would recommend?

I am currently listening to Deathspell Omega and A Forest Of Stars quite a bit, I strongly recommend that you buy A Forest Of Stars album, as it is one of the most truly original and inspired pieces of music I have ever heard.

11. What role does Satanism or Occultism play in the music and life?

A big role in the music. I have already pretty much answered that in previous questions. In my life, it plays an equally huge part.

12. Are there any good films or books that you would recommend?

I don't really watch many films, but I would recommend that you watch some of the fucked up work by Jan Svankmeyer.I don't read that many novels, I prefer learning about different magick systems and spend much time learning new things on the astral planes. I can't speak for others about what to read, all I can say is that you have to begin to learn about you true self before attempting to learn anything else.

13. How would you describe the black metal scene in the United Kingdom?

I don't really think there is one, if there was I wouldn't be a part of it. There are a few decent bands though, you just have to look for them.
14. Any final words?Thanks for letting me share my opinion with you, and remember to check out our latest works.

15. Thanks for the interview?

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Whorethorn/102954

No comments:

Post a Comment