Friday, September 20, 2013

Lonesummer Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the musical project these days?
These days I have really been taking it slow with Lonesummer. I’ve been playing a show here and there and have some song ideas hashed out, but really it’s coming along at a snail’s pace. Lonesummer started because I was going through severe depression and agoraphobia, not leaving my apartment for weeks. So I decided to start recording simple, raw, short tracks in my room as a way to keep my mind busy. These days, I’m a lot happier with my life and I feel that this impacts my ability to focus on Lonesummer. I would never want to force myself to write and record, as I feel that’s not genuine to the original purpose of Lonesummer.
2. Recently you have put out a split with Planning For Burial, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical direction you took on the new recording ans also wow it differs from previous releases?
I think that of all the Lonesummer recordings that were just myself, these were the most focused. I thinked I worked a little longer on the structuring and writing process of each song, especially the Mount Eerie cover. It’s also the first time I’ve recorded a cover, which oddly enough, I’ve never put that much time into a song before. These were the first recordings I did that actually used bass on, so I think it added a little something extra.
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the newer music explores?
The lyrical concepts usually have dealt with concepts of heartbreak, loneliness and longing. I suppose it comes off as melodramatic at times, which I have no qualms with. It was always supposed to be about honesty and as a cry for help in ways.
4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name Lonesummer?
Besides the fact that I began Lonesummer in a particularly lonely summer, there isn’t too much meaning behind the name itself.
5. In the studio you record everything by yourself but you session members to do live shows, have you ever thought about using a full band on one of your recordings?
Well the material from the Trist split was recorded with Thom from Planning for Burial, who is our constant drummer, and the leads were from our occasional guitarist James. I really loved the way those tracks came out and would love to keep recording with those guys, but we are all far away from each other and lead busy lives. Live, we are usually joined by my friends Tyler and Dylan, who I play with in my other band Angelcrust. We’ve talked about recording some tracks together, but it just never came to fruition
6. What are some of the best shows that you have played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
Our lives shows are interesting I suppose, and run the gamut between terrible and chaotic. I suppose you could expect strings breaking, numerous injuries, gear smashed and me unable to talk for days after. We used to play as just a two piece, and I was surprised people kept booking us because we were awful. I suppose it was chaotic as fuck, but me and Thom would never practice and basically just go up there and scream and play terribly and clear out the room. Nowadays I think we’re a lot better, as long as I don’t drink too much before we play. We’ve played with some really great friends and bands like Deafheaven, Ramlord, Wreck and Reference and Bastard Thieves. But personally I think our best show was a very small show with Yellow Eyes last summer in Brooklyn. Everything just clicked that night.
7.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
Our shows seem to be a little more rare due to busy schedules these days. We played with our good friends in Ramlord last month, which was a blast. I’d love to do a tour, but as I said before, our schedules are so busy with work and school, I don’t know if it would work. Plus I have been putting most of my focus on Angelcrust, so if we did have the time, it would go to an Angelcrust tour. But a weekend tour is definitely plausible. I just don’t know if my voice could hold up more than three shows.
8.Over the years you have put out splits with other bands, out of all the bands you worked with on these albums, which one did you enjoy the most?
Well the Planning for Burial splits have been great, simply because Thom’s music is consistently great. But I was beyond stoked to do a split with Trist, a musician I’ve admired for years before I even started Lonesummer. So that was a bit of a dream come true.
9.Currently the project is signed to Music Ruin's Lives, can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
Music Ruins Lives is Thom’s label. It specializes in generally sadder music, and has a great roster. I think he’s planning on ending the label though. It’s hard work.
10. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your recordings by fans of underground music?
I’ve always been so surprised and gracious that strangers from around the world would listen to sloppy recordings I did in my bedroom. Of course, I’ve read some negative reviews, and I don’t blame them. I’m still in the stage of denial where I refuse to believe anyone actually likes my music; they’re just being nice. Although whoever that girl in Russia who got a Lonesummer is, you rule.
11.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
I honestly have no clue. Lonesummer songs are written very amateurishly, as I can barely play the guitar. I sit down, fiddle around, discover a riff, and immediately turn it into a song. So whatever happens the next time I sit down with the guitar, we’ll see.
12. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I realized I made a mistake by ignoring a lot of amazing black metal in the past because it was NS. So I’ve been rediscovering a lot of Graveland, Absurd and Der Sturmer. Amazing stuff, politics aside. Besides that and the new Peste Noire, I haven’t been listening to much black metal. Mostly just been listening to a lot of Tragedy, Gattaca, Discharge, Aus Rotten, Das Oath, Fall of Efrafa, and Morrissey of course
13.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
I honestly don't really have too many interests outside of music and music related activities
14.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Thanks for listening!

Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment